Sunday, March 7, 2010

Final Fantasy X - Tidus' Brotherhood Sword

The most difficult part of this project was deciding what materials to use: The sword looked transparent in the reference pics, and I might have been able to recreate that look using plexiglass and transparent marbles, IF I had had tons of time, better tools and a bigger budget.

In the end, I settled upon painted styrene over a core of pink insulation foam and PVC pipe.


(Click on the picture to see more detail)


I used epoxy putty to create the more organically shaped parts of the hilt. I made the "seafoam bubbles" on the blade using hotglue, which I squeezed onto the surface of the blade until it formed semi-circular beads.

(Click on the picture to see more detail)


I painted the blade using enamel (various shades of blue and white which I tried to apply in such a way that the surface looked "watery". I applied solid enamel colors to the sword hilt. (Have a question or comment? Post it below!)

1 comment:

  1. I would love to ask you about this but the images are broken..

    ReplyDelete